Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Time flies when you're...busy!

Markus was finally home for an entire weekend but I don't think either of us felt like it was that long. I had visions of us doing leisurely activities that didn't require a lot of work and lots of downtime but life is never like you imagine, is it? Two days off is hardly enough time for someone who has a normal, 9-5 job but it's really not enough time off for someone who is only home 2 days a week. Not that I'm complaining because I know it could be worse and there are many people who don't get to see their husbands every day. But then again there are some who do and complain so I guess either way has it's advantage, depending on how much you like the one you married!

So, our weekend was full of activities that made the time fly by. Our first order of business was finishing up the loose ends in the yard. It's really starting to look like someone pays attention to it! I was so happy to have Markus' help. Not only can you get twice as much done but it's a lot more fun having his company. I felt bad making him "work" on his days off but it's done now and we are both so happy with the end results.

Another BIG thing happened this weekend; my baby sister got married! Ashby and Jonathan have been dating almost as long as they have been alive. They tied the knot under a gorgeous (and huge) oak tree in Jonathan's back yard. Sadly, the only pictures I got was of the tree. My camera crapped out right before Ashby walked down the aisle. But it was a really nice wedding and it brought tears to my eyes to see my little sister in a wedding gown, looking so grown up. This was the child who was born on Christmas Eve when I was 6 and I thought she was my Cabbage Patch doll that I had asked Santa for. My dad came over late that night to tell me I had a baby sister and I kept calling her my doll. Needless to say that's how I thought of her for the next few years, as my personal baby doll. Here is that picture of the tree and me swinging in it. The picture really doesn't do it justice, it was HUGE. Probably the biggest oak I have seen and pre-dates the Civil War

.
Markus had to be in Dulles early Monday morning so we decided to go up Sunday and make a "mini" vacation out of it. We dropped Meeko off at Meme's and Charlie at daycare and headed up to NOVA. On our way we stopped at Ikea and did a little home shopping at the Swedish discount store. Markus was on the prowl for something made in Finland, but to his disappointment nothing was made in any Scandinavian countries. I guess we aren't the only country who outsources to China and India.

All in all it was a very nice weekend. Not exactly the weekend I had originally hoped for but as Markus (and the Rolling Stones) like to point out, you can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need.

I'd say that's exactly what we needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment