Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Conspiracy Theory

I think there is a conspiracy between the U.S. government and Hollywood to try and sway the general tv watching public into not having children.  Maybe our government sees another baby boom coming and thinks it will be too much on our fragile economy to handle?

I turned on the tv last night and a movie called Motherhood was playing.  Have you seen it?  It's an Uma Thurman movie, not her best by a long shot.  The jist of the movie is how to balance motherhood, self, career, and marriage, and how it's just not possible without becoming a crazy neurotic bitch.  I stopped watching after stay at home mom, Uma, has a particularly bad day and decides she is going to run away.  She jumps in her station wagon, lights a cigarette, pops in a tape of something she would have listened to before having  children, and heads for New Jersey. 

Maybe there have always been movies like this and I'm just now paying attention to it because I am in my child bearing years (at least according to society and the ladies in the grocery check-out line. Not according to science.  Science would've liked me to be done having children and expecting my first grandchild).  But I remember movies like Baby Boom and tv shows like Murphy Brown, portraying mother's as strong women who balanced career and motherhood.

Anyway, back to the point.  There is a lot of stuff out there right now that focuses on women's lack of control of self once becoming a mother.  There's a whole genre of "mommy bloggers"  that focus primarily on how hard it is having kids.

Another movie that scared me to death: Marley and Me.  I was so distracted by Jennifer Aniston and her tirades and fighting with her husband after having kids that I forgot the movie was about the dog.  I'm sure there is some truth to all of this but isn't there a good side to having kids, too?  Where are the shows about that???

Schools should stop preaching abstinence and instead take their students to the local movie theatre for a little show and tell.  The scene in Marley where Owen Wilson's character stays in his car longer than necassary after a day at work because he doesn't want to go in and face his family was enough to make me want to practice abstinence!

No comments:

Post a Comment