Friday, December 4, 2009

Grateful

I'll admit it now, I was kind of dreading Thanksgiving. I'm not sure why. I am a "get in full spirit of the holidays" kind of gal. I try to enjoy every moment between Thanksgiving and Christmas because it always seems to go by too fast. I think part of my problem was that we had tackled too many projects around the house in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving. My house was a wreck. I had too many things to do and not enough time (don't we all!). But the night before my father-in-law was to arrive, the Thanksgiving Gods sent me some help. Markus came home from a trip and my mom spent the night with us. We got everything done in one night and as soon as my house was put back in order I felt much calmer. Amazing how a clean house can somehow clear away my bad mood. Markus did the grocery shopping, and all I had to do was cook. Something that also always helps me get out of a funk. I think I was destined to be a house wife (hint hint).

The whole Thanksgiving weekend was wonderful and I had many blessings to be thankful for. I was thankful that my father-in-law was able to come for the 3rd annual Hakkarainen Thanksgiving dinner. We look forward to his twice annual visits all year long. My Aunt and cousin surprised us by coming up from Florida for the weekend. I had not seen them since the spring and our visits are always too quick. I'm also thankful that I got to see both sides of my family on Thanksgiving. And it wasn't nearly as stressful as it used to be when I was a child. And last but not least, I'm very thankful for the time I got to spend with my husband. He was home almost the entire month of November and I enjoyed every moment of it. Even when I had to change his bandage and pack his wound.

And I'm especially looking forward to the next month and celebrating the holidays with family and friends. I LOVE Christmas, more than ever now that I have my own family to spend it with and a home to decorate and fill with holiday spirit. I owe that to the Chenault side of my family. They were all about traditions and creating memories. And now I get it. When I think back on the holidays, it's always the things we did every year as a family that stick out in my head. Decorating cookies, having tea with Santa at Miller & Rhodes, going to see the Nutcracker ballet, and Christmas dinner at my grandparents house. And now Markus and I get to create our own traditions and memories. Something that makes me very excited!

2 comments:

  1. What traditions are you and Markus starting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now it's done till next year, but it was oh so wonderful while it lasted. Your home was beautiful!!!! Happy New Year my sweet girl--lubba u muchly--Mama

    ReplyDelete